Thursday 16 May 2013

Week 18


10k Man? Erm no 10 mile man actually!

This week marked another major milestone in my preparation for the biggest run of my life. I decided that a nice evening run around Abington Park would do just nicely, so at at around 7:30pm I set off on to my latest conquest. Now Abington Park is by no means what I would call an easy run, it has some lovely steep hills which really put the burners into your calves.

I had predetermined that I would run 7 miles at least that evening and off the back of the buzz of running Silverstone I was totally in the right frame of mind. So off I went headphones in and off on a nice 10 minute a mile pace. The last time I had run Abington Park I was ecstatic at achieving 3 laps so after completing my 4th lap I was rather satisfied but I still had plenty in the tank and so I just carried on running. This run taught me something new in that running + nice scenery = easier runs add to that combo with some classical music and you have probably the ultimate scenario for nice relaxed running.

I appreciate that will not be to everyone's taste,but the soothing sounds of big classical instruments really makes you feel unbelievably relaxed to the point any niggling aches in your legs are soon forgotten and it's just you the music and the scenery. For those runners not concerned with high pace then I suggest you try it.

So after 1 hour and ten minutes I had completed my 7 miles, it was not time to stop so I just carried on until my legs said no more, this submission came at 10 miles. Wow I actually can not believe that I can now run 10 miles 18 weeks ago I was out of breath at just 500 yards, this was a whole new level for me. A word of warning though a ten mile run does not hurt until you stop. My goodness they say no pain no gain, well I hope I gained a lot after that, my legs decided they would rather feel like lead pipes than muscle and water, trying to walk back to the car up a hill was certainly not the one with all the lactic acid flooding through me. A few stretches later all was well and what a way to end a pretty awesome running week.

Also this week I notched up another Personal Best for a 1 mile run clocking in at 7:30 so not only am I building endurance I am building speed, watch out Mo Farah Barker is coming to get you.

8 Months

This week also marked 8 months since our little sleeping beauty was born. I can not believe how quick the time has gone it all still feels like it all happened yesterday. I still feel like I had not long held her in my arms looking at her with the purest of love that you just can not describe, thinking how on earth did I play a part in making the most perfect baby girl you ever did see. She just looked so peaceful she really was a real life angel. To this day though I still do not understand why she was taken from us I don't think I ever will, the pain of losing her is still very raw, some days I just would like to hide away from the world and not come out, but then I think of my Jasmine and she provides me with the strength to carry on and to be strong, She is my inspiration she has instilled in me a never give up attitude and while she may not be here, I will still take her on every journey I make, with every flower I see, every gentle touch of wind that pats my back it is all a sign that she is there with me.

Its a boy a real boy

To end on a good note we have found out that baby Barker the II is a boy, we are absolutely thrilled and can not wait to meet him, next up trying to think of a some names, Wilberforce any body?

2 comments:

  1. This is a great blog...Love reading about your progress...I also used to walk round and round Abington Park when I was going through a bad time
    Your comments about Jasmine are so beautiful.
    Looking forward to hearing more of your name choices for little boy Barker.xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe how quickly time flies - sending loads of love to you both - parts of your blog have amazed me - 2 of the strongest people I have ever had the pleasure to know x

    Justine x

    ReplyDelete